Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Homeless but standing strong....

I haven't blogged in almost a month. Unfortunately when life happens something has to give and at this point in our lives a lot more has caved in than we ever expected to.

What is the first thing you think of when you hear the word homeless?

- Smelly drunk guy who lives in the park
- Old woman walking around pushing her trolly
- Families sleeping in cars
- Young run aways
- Broken families torn apart by violence

Our family is none of the above and yet we are homeless. Homelessness effects over 105,000 people in Australia and of those 1/3 are families.

Carlos and I are stronger than ever.

We have had to jump through hoops since being officially homeless on Monday 28th Feb. We are now in temporary accommodation, which coincidentally turned out to be in a hotel one street away from where we use to live in Sydney.

All our belongs are sitting in storage waiting to be moved into a new home and re opened. But alas there is no new home yet. The emotional roller coaster of the uncertainty, lack of support from the system and pure frustration of no one being able to do anything until we were officially homeless has been mind numbing to say the least. Not to mention having to care and help our 3 children understand the current situation we were now in.

Getting Moo and Bear back into school seemed nearly impossible but we never gave up and today they both started back today with friends and surroundings they grew up in. They both deserve some normality their lives.

Homelessness can all to often be invisible.

Out of our frustration we contacted the media.

The Express Advocate on the Central Coast ran a story HERE on page 3.
The Inner West Courier featured our story HERE on page 7.

We are not invisible and we refuse to let this defeat us. We want change within the system and more support and understanding for people who are going through this every day.

Together we have a voice that will be heard and will not be ignored.


14 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I can't imagine what this must be like for you and I'm so sorry to hear that the support isn't there to help you sooner. Thinking of you and your littlies and hoping to hear some good news very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, to be truthful, I'm not even sure what to say. My heart hurts for you and your family, but I'm so proud of you for being so strong. I wish I lived closer so I could give you a place to stay for a while, but instead, I hope a long-distance (hug) will at least let you know you're cared about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie
    I am so sorry to read about your changed circumstances. I often go Woy Woy for lunch and know that around there is such a good place for such a lovely young family such as yours to live and go to school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you do it....you are amazing...you and your family are just the most beautiful people I know and it just doesn't seem fair that this can happen to you guys. Love you with all my heart!!!
    You know where I am ok.
    And cottage pie will be on the way....or something else you'd prefer? Let me know ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph I don't know anyone as strong as you and Carlos. I just can't believe how this can happen! Sending all the good vibes and energy I can possibly muster your way.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear this Steph. I thought your move to Sydney would be an easy one, but it appears not. Some things we take for granted; a roof over our heads is one of them. Thinking of you all right not, and wishing I could do something. I'm quite sure it will all work out for you, soon I hope x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steph, I'm heartbroken to read your news. I hope that you get the assistance you need and get a nice home asap. I pray that all goes well with Bubble too. Hugs from afar. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crazy. Sending positive energy your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh steph, my heart goes out to you guys right now. i can not imagain what it must be like foy you. I really hope you that things start going your way very soon. If you ever need someone to talk to i'm here for you! Big hugs to you and a big kiss to bubble!!!!

    xoxoxo
    kylie

    kabes_20@yahoo.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are no words Stephanie - I just cannot believe that this can actually happen to a family, and to little kids. I hope your family can be the poster for bureaucrats to rethink how they run and manage crisis situations because it sounds like they do a shit job of it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH no! I hope you get a happy outcome very soon. That must be so hard with littlies.
    Take care, hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an incredibly difficult position to be in. Good luck finding a place.
    I couldn't see the article in the Inner West Courier on Page 7. Perhaps the link isn't current anymore? xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my gosh, i wish i could help somehow! xx

    ReplyDelete