Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Peppermint Magazine Interview...


Picked up my copy of Peppermint earlier this week with screams of delight.
I was given a fantastic opportunity to be interviewed by the team at Peppermint for the Mama Musings section of Teenie Greenie.

(You might remember one of our MooBear Baby Body Suits was featured in the last issue as part of the Teenie Greenie section).


Now sometimes things don't quite go to plan and unfortunately get a little mixed up, left out or just plain over looked. Which unfortunately has happened in this case.

If you would like to see the complete interview I have included it below.

The Peppermint Team have apologised until they were blue in the face at the over sight. So although the interview isn't all my own it is still exciting to see Moo and Bear in their designs as part of the Peppermint issue.

Hopefully you'll see more of MooBear in Peppermint in the future.


1.Can you tell us a little about MooBear Designs and how it all got started?
MooBear Designs is just that. Designs drawn by Moo and inspired by Bear: my two oldest children. The idea was stitched together while I was on maternity leave expecting Bear. Moo and I spent a lot of time together just being creative and trying new things. One of our favourite activities was craft and from this we stumbled upon the concept of recycling fabrics to turn her drawings into one off T-shirt designs. People just loved the originality and our family philosophy of being Earth friendly. Word of mouth is a powerful thing!! We now offer a range of eco-friendly, organic and ethically made garments. We are proud to offer the world kids clothing with a conscience.
2.You've recently celebrated your first year since officially launching, what were the low points (if any!) and highlights?
We’ve had a great first year. One of the highlights to date would have to be Moo’s Earth design being used in the Project Lantern kit for Earth Hour in 2009. The campaign went global so imagine how excited we were to see the final photos. We still get the warm fuzzies just thinking about it. We also joined forces with the sustainability experts at Enviro Central to help build their own brand of kids enviro t-shirts. We love what they do and it’s great to be able to support each other’s work.
Our low point was launching an independent T-shirt label in winter. We could have picked a warmer season I think. Lucky we sell world wide so it had to be Summer somewhere right?!
3.I know you can balance a racquet on one finger, as a mum of three, how do you balance business and family?
I have a secret, magic potion which I sprinkle under my pillow at night… hehe. I am lucky that Carlos is my business partner and also works from home so we have to be able to juggle both business and kids together as well as each other. I find communication is extremely important. I'll tell him what I would like to achieve during my day first thing in the morning and vice versa. Then we take it from there and prioritise. Quite often we don't get everything ticked off the list but we get pretty close. When Moo, Bear and Bubble are running around in the back yard asking us to come and play in the afternoon sometimes you just have to say "This is why I am working from home", get out there, have some fun and remember to switch off.
4.A little birdy told me you've got a new project in the works .. something to do with accessories?
I have! I have. MooBear used to be my hobby and now it's my business so I found a new hobby and called it Over It! which follows the same ethical philosophy as MooBear. I find so many items in op shops like zippers, buttons, ribbons as well as MooBear scraps that I have to rescue them and give them a new life. I am lucky Carlos enables me to rescue so many refashionable items. I'll be selling Over It! through my new madeit store. The best part about Over It! is each item has been tried and tested by my family (for whom the pieces were originally made) and then all my friends who continue to support everything I do in my crazy crafty life.
5.What are your future goals?
To leave a clean mark on the Earth by recreating everyday items which we see and use in a whole new way and to continue to expand our range and introduce new MooBear garments. The possibilities are endless when you run your own company. Secretly I would love to start a Fairtrade coffee label sshh but don't tell Carlos. He thinks I drink too much coffee as it is!!
6.Where can readers buy MooBear Designs?
Our online store is www.moobeardesings.com.au where you can learn more about us and purchase our designs.

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow Congrasts girl! Will be getting myself a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations-What an honor to be featured!
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are SO AMAZING...OF COURSE you will be interviewed by MANY!! Congrats..it IS a great interview..you are soooo funny, fabulous, and humble!! That is what makes you soooo AMAZING!!! xo

    ReplyDelete