Sunday, May 31, 2009

'More Than Meets The Eye' Comic Book Shoes Tutorial


I am a massive fan of 'One of a Kind'. The original inspiration for these shoes was from Mia over at Cut Out And Keep. Her tutorial was fantastic so I owe her a BIG thank you for being so sharing and creative. You can check out her tutorial here along with other great crafty ideas. Be warned it is VERY addictive!!

Now I thought I would try another method as I already made a pair from a Denis the Menace comic. My tutorial starts off really simple then I completely change my approach so you can do what works for you!!

Step 1: Gather all your supplies.
- A comic book. I used Transformers as Carlos wasn't ready to part with his Star Wars ones. I picked this up from our local op shop.
- Canvas shoes. Now this is important as this is what the glue easily adheres to but by all means give a different medium a try. I bought mine from the op shop.
- PVA Glue ( I am told we have modge podge in Australia but I didn't source any)
- Pen
- Paper. I ended up changing to pattern paper as I could manipulate it much easier. Also from the op shop.

Step 1. Place your paper over the shoe and trace the outline like so. If you do it in sections you'll need to stick the pieces together. If you use 1 endless piece this makes things so much easier.
Step 2. Cut out your pieces and you should be left with something like this.

Step 3. Place the pattern over your comic. The pattern is thin enough to see through making it easier to use than paper. Then trace the sections you want to use.
Now after this I change my approach. I was going to glue the comic to the pattern but figured it was a useless step. So I just glued the pieces directly onto the shoe. This was a little but fiddly but I felt more comfortable. Once the pieces were on the shoes I gave them 2 thick coats of glue then set them in front of our heater they were dry with in an hour!! This water seals them too.

And this is what I ended up with. I made one Bumble Bee shoe and one Optimus Prime Shoe.

Bumble Bee Shoe

Bumble Bee Shoe

Optimus Prime Shoe

Optimus Prime Shoe

Back detail hehe.

These are the original ones I made.

I am still trying to figure out a better way to adheres the comic to the shoes. So if you have any ideas please please leave a comment.

I want to surprise Carlos with a Star Wars pair.

17 comments:

  1. These are quite impressive

    ReplyDelete
  2. O-M-G!!! This is genius! So how does the paper hold up when it gets wet? This would be great to do with fabric as well. I'm thinking Hello Kitty Fabric!

    Thanks for the link! I just signed up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I know hey!! Well The first pair I made are still kicking around the house and they are totally fine and water resistant due to the glue. I wouldn't go splashing in puddles hehe.

    I wore these today and I am a little sad as they ripped where the shoe bends which never happened to the first ones... I put it down to the fact that these red shoes have some glitter thread through them as apposed to plain canvas...so the glue had nothing to stick too. But It's ok i'll go back to the drawing board!!

    Fabric would ROCK... OMG i have guitar fabric!!!! I have to start my next project!!!

    xo Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. so adorable-i love one-of-a-kind too!! i can't wear that kind of shoe but i'll have to make some for my daughter-she'd love! them. thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have inspired me to go out and make some of these for my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice and cute, kids will love these shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice and cute, I'm sure kids will love these shoes

    ReplyDelete
  8. So totally cute!! I want to try them too as I just "discovered" mod podge!! I'll post when I do them, hopefully not too far away! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you guys like them!! I do suggest using an old pair of canvas shoes to practice on... That way it i doesn't quite work your heart isn't too shattered!!

    Thanks for the great feedback too...

    xo Steph

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are awesome!! I'll be bringing my shoes over tomorrow for the treatment. Ally <'v'>

    ReplyDelete
  11. How 'bout I just order a pair from you in transformer "bumble bee" for Jack!!! Do the canvas shoes have to have the rubber front or can they be all canvas?

    Jenn - who's loving your site!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaaaaaah!

    I can't believe I didn't see this sooner! :D I'm glad you liked my shoes enough to make your own pair- Which by the way came out fantastically!! I love them!

    Cheers!

    -Mia

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are awesome!!!! I totally added you to my google reader! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so awesome. My boys are going to go nuts. They would be great for gifts aswell. Infact, I might make a pair for myself. Or maybe more than 1 pair.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steph! I found some Mod Podge online - it's an Australian site too!
    I'm gonna get some and try fabric I think!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ...or here!

    http://www.scrapdragon.com.au/p/471859/mod-podge-gloss-lustre-236ml.html

    ReplyDelete